Monday, June 13, 2011

More organisation tips and hints for caravanners

I am going to continue on with my list of tips and ideas we have utilised to make life a little easier, cheaper and more organised, in the caravan. I just have to say first that some of these ideas will seem rather obvious, but I'm still going to list them.

Organisation tips:

In the kids room: We bought a family van with a bunk room as we currently have one child and may choose to have another down the track. However as we only use one of the bunks (the middle one) we have chosen to use the other two as "shelves". We wanted our son to still be able to enjoy a variety of toys and games, despite how small our home is so we decided to try and keep hi sbelongings as organised as possible. I purchased a variety of plastic "clip lid" tubs, six of the fifty litre (big) ones and 6 of the lowline ones that are designed for going underneath beds. Along the bottom bunk I put a row of the lowling tubs then ontop a row of the bigger tubs. I did the same with the tope bunk. On the top bunk the tubs are filled with extremely lightweight items like out spare Hay for our guinea pig Pepper and some of Zacs lighter toy boxes. On the bottom (the ground bunk) is the box of stationary, box of craft items for Zacher and other heavy items. I have found this organisation method works really well for us. All the boxes are labelled and we keep them very tidy and organised. We continually go through them and reduce the clutter of things we dont need or things that are broken or have pieces missing.

We also keep Zacs wardrobe very well organised. Everything is in its place. We keep stocked up on nappys although we are currently toilet training. We keep a great variety of winter and summer clothes as the weather can change at any time. Whenever any of Zacs toys are damaged (beyond repair) we get rid of them, same goes for books. If a puzzle is missing pieces, we throw it out immediately. Although we do try hard to look after things, but theres no point in having them take up space if they are broken. We have mentioned to our families and friends that for birthdays and christmas for Zac presents should be quiet small and simple - not too many toys and books. We have started a trust fund for Zachery and have invited our families to add to this is an alternative to gifts if they wish too. We also suggested that they could send money on experiences for him, as gifts, rather than objects. At the same time however we are open to rotation of his toys and will just minimise the older toys to fit in some of the new ones if he happens to recieve quiet a few on his upcoming birthday.

When we are stopped at sunny places we rotate the toy boxes we bring out for Zac. We will bring the train set out to the mat outside (under out awning) one day, than another the trucks and cars, another the mixed toy box. However in the bottom bunk shelve Zac always has books, craft items, musical instruments and a small variety of craft and art items readily avaliable for him to choose from.

In the Kitchen/living area:

baskets:
We love baskets! We have baskets in our draws for our items like zip lock bags, sponges, lids etc. I keep a basket on my benchtop (which I just pop on the bed or in the bathroom when were in transit) with my toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash etc, as I cant go into the bathroom until after Zac has fallen asleep, due to having to go through his room to get there. I have a basket on a small bed end table in our bedroom area which I keep a packet of wipes and a handfull of nappies in. This makes it far easier than continuously going into Zacs wardrobe to find them. We have baskets in our bedside hutches for our wallets, keys, phones etc. To make them a bit easier to find. Baskets are wonderful and really hep you to stay organised, especially when you generally have to remove everything from your benchtops to travel - this way you just pop the basket somewhere safe and pull it back out once youve stopped.

Food storage:

Tubs of extras:

We also keep a variety of spare food items, spare washing powder, washing up detergent etc in more of the plastic 50 litre tubs under our bed. This way we are able to keep stocked up and have our items easily accessable.

Tupperware or other stackable containers:
When you only have limited space you need a pantry storage system that will pack up neatly. I have chosen tupperware (as I went through that crazy cycle of tupperware parties al of us young mums have to experience) howeveer there are countless other brands on the market in shops like big W and woolworths that fit just as nicely together. I strongly reccomend buying a VERY big variety of sizes of these containers as you ritems storage needs will be varied. I keep quiet a few cerial containers as we like a variety of cerial, and I also keep a LOT of baking/cooking ingredients. Having these storage systems allows me to keep items very fresh for a long time in a variety of climates. Spending a little extra money on buying yourself some sotrage containers will save you money in the long run when you fine your food in the cupboards and fridge, are alot fresher and last a lot longer.


A few other ideas:

Meal planning:
I plan a months worth of meals, based on what I have in the cupboards aswell as other items I need to purchase. I try to use mostly the items I already have first, that way I know they will get used within the month. But there are always other items/ingredients that I am missing. I try to be realistic with my plans and keep them quiet filled with a variety of meals. I also do my best to cover breakfast, lunch and snacks. I dont plan them for a particular day, I generally just plan thirty of each meals and we eat whichever, whenever. Having meals avaliable all the time and especially having a list of a huge variety of things you could cook at the drop of the hat (including a bunch of very quck and simple meals) is a great way to save money by not turning to takeaway at those moments of real hunger or exhaustion.

Treats and junk food: I also am realistic about treats, we like to have some sugary items here and there so I buy the ingredients to make the occasional self saucing chocolate pudding, pancakes or just some simple chocolate bars or sweet biscuits. I keep these items packed away and when we bring them out we enjoy them as a family. Having these items spread through our food storage system means that we dont find ourselves turning to service stations and takeaway shops for the occasional treat.

sleep time now. Will add more again along the way

No comments:

Post a Comment