Monday, June 27, 2011

Broken Hill again and the Living Desert Sculptures.

Today we explored Broken Hill a little (the town) we replenished our groceries for the trip accross to Port Augusta - including some fresh rolls for lunch for tomorrow. We then went out and had a look at "The Living Desert". Were not actually sure entirely of why it is called that but we are assuming its because that particular part of land is alot greener than most of the other desert plains around here. It was a beautiful place and the sculptures are amazing. The artists were invited to each create a sculpture out of rock from the desert to put on the top of the look out in 1993. I wish I had have read more of the information but I'm still sick with a chest infection and I ended up sort of rushing through a little. Now for some photos:

The View over the Living Desert, you can definately see that its greener than my photos from yesterday at the Mundi Mundi Plains.





Little Lizard we found wandering around. Zachery wanted to catch it and keep it and "take it in the car". (its pretty much right in the centre of the photo, it sort of blends in with the photo a bit - incase you cant see it)



This one was a horses head, it looked really awesome!


The Living Desert again, beautiful view that my camera does no justice for!



I love this photo of Brent and Zac looking out of the Living Desert.

I loved this one, I think it was a mother and child.







Tomorrow we will be leaving between 5:30 and 6am to head to Port Augusta. Its about 405 kilometres from Broken Hill so we should arrive there around lunch time. From what I have found in brouchures and on the internet there is alot to do at Port Augusta. We are hoping to go on a boat tour of the Spencer Gulf, perhaps even at sunset. We are also contemplating going absaling as its somthing I have always wanted to try and although Brent has done it before he loved it and would love to try it again. We have to pass through (another) fruit fly exclusion zone on our way out of Broken hill (there was also one on the way in) we all scoffed down watermelon for dessert to try and save from having to waste it! Looking forward to the trip tomorrow, fingers crossed Zachery and I feel a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment