Sunday, July 3, 2011

I forgot my camera!

Today we went for a drive out to Andamooka in search if "Lake Torrens". We didn't find it, instead we ended up about 30 or 40 ks into the arid desert lands with no water in sight. It was a fun drive all the same and pretty interesting, I love seeing the nothingness that there is out here, for some reason its so interesting.

I completely forgot my camera and also we ended up just coming back to the van and deciding to search for Lake Torrens again tomorrow or the day after so I dont have alot of local stuff to blog about but I do have a few things I noticed which I want to record.

I noticed that there are so many children here (apparently 38% of the population) and they are all seemingly wholesome. They are all having picnics in the parks, playing ball games, riding bicycles etc. Even the older teenage ones. They dont dress anything like the girls from cities and coastal places and have just absolutely no crazy hair do's and off peircings. They all smile at you as you pass by and I'm yet to see any of them doing anything that sounds or looks remotely rude or dangerous.

I also noticed that all of the adult population are so friendly, smiley and cheerful too. From the women that work at the restaraunts and the shops to EVERY single person whom drives past you and smiles and waves (and I mean every single car).

When we went to Andamooka we noticed that (and I'll take my camera there when we go back and get photos of this to show you) all the residents have "mined" their own backyards in search of opals which seem to be everywhere here. It looks so funny/cool all the huge mounds of mined rock/dirt behind all the houses, it makes you wonder how much money they have recieved from what theyve found there because alot of the tin shacks ont he properties look as though theyve been deserted, assumingly once the residents got their money from their opals they found!. There is an opel gallery type of place with has a VERY extensive range of opals for sale (and an extensive range that arent for sale) they are just absolutely beautiful. I have never seen such amazing, clear, beautiful colours! So many wonderful greens and blues and even some orange opals. Brent said that if he gets work here and we stay for a few months he will buy me a beautiful opal ring for my birthday, they start from about $150 and go up to tens of thousands (obviously I'll get one of the cheapies, im too thrifty, and they arent all that cheap really!)

Brent is going to the Olympic dam (the mine, up the road) employment agency tomorrow, apparently there are two agencies both for the same mine so he is going to see if they have any jobs going and who has the best package. If its worthwhile we will stay here for a few months and he will work in the mine. According to a few local professionals Brent will be a hot commodity when he walks in there and will certainly be offered a good job, so we will see!

Today we also met a wonderful family whom are in the caravan spot next door to us. They have three young boys and we had a really good time chatting with the husband and wife. They are a bit older than us but seemed so similar and were so easy going, it was great! Zachery loved playing with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment